Saturday, February 02, 2013

Linux serial baud 14400 and DS89C450 development

For some freaking reason Linux couldn't support 14400 baud rate on it's serial connection.  I was doing some development based on Maxim's DS89C450 , as it is one of the highest performance 8051 compatible microcontrollers in the market. The nice thing of this DS89C450 is that it has a boot ROM which allows me to program the chip using serial port (instead of an expensive programmer).  However, the boot ROM only allows COM port connections at 14400 and Linux doesn't support this baud rate. (dear Maxim friends, can you change the baud rate to a standard one?)

I was desperate and trying through different bauds, surprisingly I found that it can work under 2400bps instead of 14400. (Anyone can explain to me why?)

If you are interested, there are a few more further readings of development using DS89C450 under Linux:

No comments: